Career & College Readiness Programs
Over the past few years, the focus of Career & Technical Education has shifted from college preparatory with career-related classes included to a more comprehensive focus, including the development of “soft skills” and career- readiness.
Now, Career & College Readiness includes not only college prep with career classes, but also includes other pathways such as Early Middle College, Work Based Learning experiences, military training, trade schools and apprenticeships, dual enrollment in specific pathways such as our DEEP Program, as well as traditional career and technical classes offered at both the building level and at the Genesee Career Institute.
This transformation has changed the lens through which future post-secondary success can be viewed. A commonality among these multiple pathways is the need for more real-world applications during high school and the value of experiences in the workplace.
At Fenton High School, we offer a variety of Career & College Readiness opportunities including the following:
Work-Based Learning Program
CTE Classes Offered at Fenton High School
- Accounting I & II
- Business, Management & Administration
- Virtual Enterprises International (VEI) – an in-school entrepreneurship program & global business simulation
CTE Pathways Offered at Genesee Career Institute
- Architecture and Construction
- Arts, Audio/Video Technology, and Communications
- Education and Training
- Genesee County CTE Early Middle College
- Government and Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics
- US Army JROTC
- Traditional dual enrollment through Mott Community College or the University of Michigan-Flint
- DEEP (Dual Enrollment Educational Partnership) with the University of Michigan-Flint
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- Early Middle College with Career Technical Education focus with Genesee Intermediate School District (GCI CTE EMC)
- ASVAB Testing and Career Planning
Students who enroll in these Career & College Readiness programs will have the opportunity to experience a variety of field-trips related to their curriculum, listen to various guest speakers, as well as the opportunities to earn articulated college credits and/or various certifications.
Each CTE program follows a curriculum that aligns with multiple college programs and most colleges honor the credits earned. For example, if a student completed Accounting I at Fenton High School and then enrolled at Mott Community College, they would have earned four credits towards their degree and the college would grant them credit in Applied Accounting. These credits are FREE!!!
The Career & College Readiness Programs offered at Fenton High School are exemplary options that provide students with exciting opportunities to gain workplace experience, serve their community, and prepare for post-secondary success. This is our mission and I strongly suggest you talk to your child about enrolling in one of our exciting Career & College Readiness programs.
Mrs. Lindsay Grady
Coordinator of Career & College Readiness Programs